Origin North (@OriginNorth) finally opened up in North York at Bayview Village after their success at the Queen St. location, Origin (my old post here). I think their menus are very similar across all 3 restaurants (Origin, Origin Liberty and Origin North).
Origin North is not direct inside Bayview Village but they built something at their north parking lot.
I would say they are very similar to Joey’s at Don Mills’ set up with patios, tall ceiling, relatively dimmed lights and loud music. *photo credit to TorontoLife
I started my night with an Origin Slush.
– Refreshing for summer. You can get this in virgin if you like.
Origin North is a tapas restaurant where dishes are usually shared. The waitress kindly informed us that it’s about 2 dishes per person so 6 of us ordered away with the following….
Under the mozzarella bar, we got the
BUFALA + pear + rosemary oil + pine nut + honey ($17) and FIORE DE LATTE + truffle + mushrooms + spinach
– The Fiore De Latte with truffle and mushrooms was definitely the better one. It had a richer flavour and I personally like mushrooms. =)
TUNA SALAD + asian pear + avocado + spicy ponzu ($17)
– I liked this salad but it would have been better if the tuna was not soaked at the bottom with all the ponzu sauce. I loved the crunch rice Krispy in it.
BAY SCALLOP SEVICHE + coconut + lime + frozen chili dressing + plantain
– This dish was refreshing but smaller than I thought. They could have provided a few more chips knowing that we had 6 people to share.
RIGATONI + smoked tomato + fresh ricotta ($15)
– This was probably one of the more below expectation dish. The pasta was really normal
CHINOIS DUCK + flour tortilla + cucumber + hoisin + sriracha + sour cream ($17)
– I remember having this dish at Origin at Queen and it was equally good. Very similar to Chinese’s peking duck. My Origin @ Queen post here from almost 3 years ago.
MISO BLACK COD + bok choy & ginger sauce ($33)
– Black cod is always good. Can’t go wrong with it.
SWEET PEA RISOTTO + mascarpone + mint ($14)
– The risotto is probably the best dish out of all! If we can get seconds, the risotto will be the one! It was scrumptious.
Lastly, for desserts, we ordered the following to share… although it was difficult to stab 6 spoons/forks within it.
DULCE DE LECHE + yogurt + frozen raspberry + lemon cake ($10)
– This was really good! I would recommend getting it. It was refreshing and a healthier choice indeed with all the yogurt and raspberry. I liked the texture, similar to a parfait.
TWO SHARE – Truffle + maple cotton candy + cheesecake + chocolate pudding.
– We got this because it had a cool presentation from afar but who knew that it came so small! It is really for “two” people to share or maybe one.
Overall, some items did definitely stand out to me such as the risotto and duce de leche (dessert) but I thought it was a bit overpriced in general. They also served all of our dishes all at once which made it difficult to savour and enjoy each piece. Some of the appetizer pieces came later than the main/meat dish! If Origin serves tapas, they should make items easier to share or offer utensils with the dish. I don’t think I’ll be back again although it was a great experience.